At commencement, Honors in the Major will be awarded to those students who have successfully completed all degree requirements and additionally earned at least 5 points through the following outstanding achievements:
- Completed a successful SIP in the music department, or a successful senior recital of similar scope (1 point)
- Completed an honors SIP in the music department (2 points)
- Earned a grade of A- on the comprehensive exam, the integrative project that concludes the senior seminar (1 point)
- Earned a grade of A on the comprehensive exam, the integrative project that concludes the senior seminar (2 points)
- Maintained a GPA of 3.67 or higher in departmental coursework (1 point)
- Obtained no grade lower than an A- in any departmental coursework (2 points)
Should any of the information in the categories above be not yet fully gathered by the time Honors in the Major determinations must be submitted, a projected estimate of the final result, based on existing progress, may be used in its place.
Music Department Prizes
At both Honors Day Convocation and Commencement, Majors, Minors, and other students who have engaged significantly in the musical life of the College are eligible for Music Department Prizes, which carry with them variable cash awards and include:
Lillian Pringle Baldauf Prize: awarded to an outstanding music student.
Fan E. Sherwood Memorial Prize: awarded for outstanding progress and ability on an orchestral stringed instrument.
Margaret Upton Prize in Music: provided by the Women’s Council of Kalamazoo College, awarded to a student designated by the music department faculty as having made significant achievement in music.